Pages

5.083 Mul Naeng Myeon

-Cycle 5, Item 83-
29 (Sat) March 2014

-Korean-
Mul Naeng Myeon

3.5

at Samwon Garden

-Sinsa, Seoul-

with Family and Dad

The Prodigal Son Returns to Get Documents, Day 1.

The World Health Organization Regional Office for the Western Pacific has seen fit to offer me a full time job.  I've accepted.  At the end of April, after wrapping up my current consultancy contract, I'll be staying on in Manila.  Technically, the post is for a Temporary Appointment Professional (TAP) on a 5.5-month contract.  5.5 because, well, certain employee benefits begin to accrue at 6.0 (I wonder if ILO offers the same kind of deal).  The short term also allows both parties to gauge whether they're mutually satisfied by and want to maintain the relationship for a longer term.  So, in mid-October, if all goes well, the contract may be renewed to a fixed-term post of 2 years.  

At Samwon Garden, the only restaurant that the entire family can agree on, every time (see most recently 4.308 Mul Naeng Myeon).

Fine with me, I could get my post-flight bowl of MNM (see generally 4.295 Pyongyang Mul Naeng Myeon).

More specifically, I'll be Technical Officer of Health Legislation.  The first position of its kind in WHO (as far as anyone is aware).  The focal point for providing technical support to countries throughout the Region in assessing/developing/implementing/surveilling their domestic legal frameworks on health matters.  Holy crap, that's quite a daunting task.  I hope that I'm up to it--we'll see in 5.5 months.  

 
 Taking after his old man in so many ways, MNM is his favorite food.

The main purpose of this visit back home--yes, Seoul will always be home--is to retrieve various supporting documents, such as academic diplomas, birth certificates for the kids, etc., as well as family registries, available at the neighborhood government office, requiring me to be here on a weekday during business hours, which is a good excuse to stay through Monday.

In Korea, many convenience stores offer tables for customers, who can bring food (e.g., street food, which abounds in Oksu (see for example 3.164 The Trinity)) but usually buy drinks (e.g., beer) from the store.

 What I miss most about being away is hanging out with my kids...

 ...and making sure that they're properly groomed.

4 comments:

  1. Will your family join you in the extended stay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's a long time to be away from the kids. assuming SY and the kids are not moving to Manila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait, are they moving? birth certificates for kids? family registry??

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, the family will stay in korea, at least for this year.

    still need to documents for certain dependent benefits.

    ReplyDelete