Pages

5.347 TEITY 31 Highlight : Japanese-Style Corn Soup

-Cycle 5, Item 347-
18 (Thu) December 2014

-Japanese(?)-
Japanese-Style Corn Soup

2.25

at Tao Yuan

-Malate, Manila-

with EK and various K staff

TEITY.  Try Every Item at Tao Yuan* (see previously 5.344 Crab Powder Ball).  Attempting to eat my way through the restaurant, all 222 items (excluding shark's fin and desserts).  From what I've seen so far, it would seem to be one of the best in the neighborhood, solid on all counts: taste, quality, variety, service, vibe, proximity, maybe price.  Once I've tried everything, I'll know exactly what to get, depending on the circumstances, whether it's for a quick bite on my own, a casual night out with friends/colleagues/family, or a formal occasion hosting bosses/VIPs.  That kind of certainty, in the unpredictable culinary landscape of Manila, will be invaluable.

*The domain has recently expired, but I leave the link in case it comes back up.

Something of a sequel to TERRP (Try Every Restaurant in Robinsons Place), which had me eating my way through an entire mall, all 85 restaurants (see generally 5.247 Original Recipe Fried Chicken...), much to my eternal regret and shame.

3 new items tonight, total 165 down, 57 remaining; 31 visits so far, averaging 5.32 items per visit as of tonight, on pace to finish at TEITY 44.

BLUE: highly recommended / GREEN: respectable / YELLOW: mediocre / ORANGE: better avoided / RED: never again / GREY: off-limits due to ethical concerns


Whereas the previous group dinner at Tao Yuan had resulted somewhat in disappointment, at least as far as I was concerned, with hopes riding high on the first multi-course meal designed from the TEITY experience--at the time, I attributed the less-than-favorable outcome to various confounding factors, such as the large number (22) of guests, budgetary concerns, and divergent preferences (see generally 5.332 The Pilot Spread)--tonight's beta gathering turned out far better with a smaller group (6+2 kids**) of like-minded Korean colleague who didn't mind paying a bit more for good stuff.

Next time, the third time oughta be a charm.


Chao Chow Cold Cuts Combination (1.0), which included a bit of Chao Chow Soyed Duck (1.0)--the only other new items, which I'm not counting in my assessment of the meal overall; cold meats in aspic, definitely not my thing.

**Then again, the kids did represent a confounding factor that forced us to order mostly mild and soft items, like Japanese-Style Corn Soup.  

----

ADDENDUM

10 (Fri) April 2015

Finished (see generally 6.095 Done).

No comments:

Post a Comment