Pages

5.361 Palbochae

-Cycle 5, Item 361-
1 (Thu) January 2015

-Chinese-
Palbochae

2.5

at Hong Myeong

-Nonhyeon, Seoul-

with Kim HJ, Park HY

The Prodigal Son Returns to Welcome the New Year, Day 4 (see previously 5.360 Mul Naeng Myeon).

After spending Christmas with the family in the Philippines (see most recently 5.357 Chicago Cowboy Steak), I've come back with them to Korea to celebrate the New Year, arriving Monday night, returning to Manila on Saturday evening.

Another full circle (see also 5.359 Jaengban Ban), the last time that I had dinner with my colleagues from AUSOM was exactly 365 days ago (see previously 4.362 How I Earned a Free Bowl of Mul-Naeng-Myeon).

Yes, I'm aware that these aren't pure coincidences, just that I always have dinner with the same groups of people around the same time of year.  

Taking a glance at my DSLR camera, the owner offered us a complimentary bottle of hooch and asked that I be generous in my review--the second time that this has happened to me (see also 4.331 Special Nigiri Set).

Hong Myeong is a Korean-Chinese restaurant.

The food was hit/miss.  While the ingredients were clearly very fresh, and the preparations exhibited a skilled hand, the seasonings fell a bit short.  The palbochae, for example, the best dish of the meal--fresh seafood is pretty good regardless--was kinda bland.  Whatever.

Good times nevertheless.

Happy New Year!

For brunch earlier in the day, as per New Year's tradition, my mother made ddeok guk; personally, I feel that her style is too spartan--she likes food to be "clean" in appearance (see for comparison 5.269 Ddeok Galbi Tang). 

No comments:

Post a Comment